I was playing around in the kitchen and came up with a delicious coffee cake recipe that’s perfect for those looking for dairy free cake options. Although I am not a regular coffee drinker, I do enjoy coffee cakes and bringing in some honey and dark chocolate into my recipe made for a wonderful flavour combination. In fact, I decided to add some cardamom at the very last minute and as I sipped on coffee and munched on the muffin, I was unexpectedly mentally transported on board Gulf Air. I’m pretty sure it was the combination aromas of the muffin and coffee that triggered this memory as the notes were similar to the Qahwa (Arabic coffee) that was served on board. My version of this popular cake has coffee in it and has a crumble on the top as well. It’s not overly sweet which is what I enjoyed about it.
Coffee Cake Recipe
What I love most about this dairy free coffee cake recipe is how versatile it is. I am on a cardamom kick these days and you will see below that I sprinkled some in but you can easily add cinnamon instead. Since my cake wasn’t overly sweet, I used some Wendell Estate creamed raw Prairie honey to bring in a touch of sweetness to the crumble on the top. Make this recipe your own because it’s quite forgiving to errors and quite complimentary to many flavours! Cinnamon coffee cake is quite delicious, as is cardamom coffee cake.
Also, when it comes to coffee you can use instant coffee powder as a substitute for ground coffee in your coffee cake recipe.
We also have a dairy free upside down peach cake that can be grilled!
What makes a coffee cake a coffee cake?
Based on my knowledge, there are various types of coffee cakes. In places like Ireland, the cakes have actual coffee in them and in some places like North America, coffee cake is really a pound cake that is enjoyed with a cup of coffee on the side. In Sri Lanka our cakes are slabs of chocolate cake with coffee in the icing. Either way, there’s cake involved and some coffee; either on the side or in the recipe itself.
Try our Boozy Chocolate Biscuit Pudding too!
Dairy Free Coffee Cake
Dairy Free Coffee Cake Muffins with a crumble top
- 1 Cup Oil (Canola or Vegetable)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup Strong Coffee
- 1/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Teaspoons Cardammon or Cinnamon Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- Optional Toping : Honey and powdered cardamom or cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoons of Oil
- 35 grams crushed dark chocolate
- Add eggs to a bowl and whisk
- Add oil, vanilla, almond milk and coffee to the eggs and continue whisking
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, cardamom/cinnamon and baking powder
- Fold in the wet ingredients (egg/oil/coffee mixture) to the dry ingredients to get a thick batter
- In another bowl, prepare crumble/streusel by combining brown sugar and flour. Drizzle in the oil to get a crumbly texture and toss in the crushed chocolate
- Oil a muffin tray and layer in the batter. Add a spoon of the crumble and layer batter on the top. Add a final sprinkling of crumble/streusel
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 35 minutes at 350 F
- Let coffee cake muffins cool before drizzling honey and sprinkling some cardamom or cinnamon powder
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee
Amount Per Serving Calories 397Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 31mgSodium 490mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 2gSugar 16gProtein 5g
Kristen VisserJune 11, 2021 at 9:20 am
oh my goodness!! I haven’t had coffee cake in YEARS!! I used to buy coffee cake muffins cause they went perfect with my coffee. I must try making my own. literally mouth is watering over here
Shirley OJune 13, 2021 at 11:28 pm
I love coffee cake and the Dairy Free Coffee Cake sounds delicious. It’s a must try recipe, thanks for sharing.
YashyJune 14, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Let us know if you try it!
Sandra DufoeJune 14, 2021 at 10:52 am
This looks like a great recipe love coffee cake.
Donna SJune 24, 2021 at 9:51 am
I enjoy coffee cake with a cup of coffee on the side. This recipe sounds (and looks) delicious.