We all know that there are plenty of things to do in Toronto with kids but the challenge is that we seem to have visited all the best attractions in Toronto for young kids. You’ve taken your babies and explored all the baby friendly things to do in Toronto and they grew into toddlers who had jam packed Toronto itineraries during every visit. Now they’re rambunctious young kids who want to explore more but are looking for experiences beyond the usual list of Toronto attractions, am I right? So, if you, like us, are looking for fun things to do in Toronto beyond attractions, we’ve come up with a list. We’ve been to most of the spots on this list and others look like family friendly Toronto spots which Chris and I plan to explore this summer with our children. Our fair city has so much going on that there’s no shortage of fun activities for families who wake up and wonder “what to do in Toronto today?”. We got you!
This post as been updated in 2023.
Now don’t get us wrong, if you haven’t explored ALL the Toronto attractions, please ensure you do! We love going back to our favourite spots like the ROM, AGO, Ripley’s Aquarium and Science Centre. We also have a great weekend in Toronto itinerary for families visiting Toronto!
Unique Things to do in Toronto with Kids
Here’s a list of unique things you can do in Toronto, with kids, that are beyond the usual attraction recommendations. We’ve already written about a few of these spots and have included links if you want to learn more about our experiences.
Free and Nearly Free Things to do in Toronto
- Visit the Toronto Islands – Far Away farm, beach, BBQ, Centreville amusement park, ride horses, rent family bicycles, take boat tours and do so much more.
- Explore High Park – splash pads, mini zoos, hiking trails, picnics and crazy playgrounds
- Visit the fabulous Grange Park playground (near the AGO) – we have a list of other playgrounds in Toronto but that’s our favourite one
- Ride the Street Car – I know it sounds odd but kids love roaming in them. Why not neighbourhood hop and pop out for treats as you wish? The College/Gerrard street one is always a good one as is Spadina
- Visit the waterfront – swing by the Harbourfront Centre which has loads going on every weekend or hang at HTO Park!
- Visit the Toronto Police Museum – hey this isn’t a big attraction! You’ll have to pre-book your visit but kids will love it!
- Get dirty at Evergreen Brickworks – there are farmers markets and brewery pop ups on the weekends, story circles, a children’s garden, places to play with dirt and find insects too!
- Experience a Toronto festival – there’s a festival every weekend in Toronto! Our faves include Taste of Little Italy, Salsa on St. Clair, Pride, Caribana and Luminato
- Check out the Toronto Library – there are free activities and story time sessions throughout the year (you can also get free museum passes!)
- Learn about horticulture (or just run around) at Allan Gardens Greenhouse – after visiting the greenhouse in downtown Toronto pop by the large playground nearby
- Splash around at Nathan Philips Square – you could do this at Dundas Square too but our kids love the sprinklers and enjoy climbing the Toronto sign at Nathan Philips (there’s also a small playground behind Old City Hall)
- Explore Ontario Place – watch a movie at the Cinesphere, run around the massive grounds or experience one of the many pops up taking place
- Hangout at a beach – we had a fabulous day at Woodbine Beach but Cherry Beach is also a good option for those hot hot days. Here’s a full guide on how to spend a day at the Toronto Beaches with kids.
Unique Restaurants, Bars and Cafes in Toronto for Kids
- Spend an afternoon at a board game cafe – there are so many but Snakes and Lattes and Storm Crow Manor are solid options
- Play games at the Rec Room – this downtown Toronto bar/restaurant offers plenty of games to keep kids amused all day long
- Dine around Lawrence Market – if you kid loves food and wants to explore one of the best food markets in the world, you can do just that!
- Visit a themed restaurant – go to the Poop Cafe, Selva, Chotto Matte and Storm Crow Manor are solid options
- Dine around Kensington Market – explore the street art, swing by the playground, grab some ice cream and lunch on a patio with a drink in hand
- Enjoy a dessert crawl -we have so many dessert shops and here’s the self-guided Toronto dessert crawl we did by ourselves on Yonge Street. You can also walk down on Dundas street (between Bay and University) to hit up others.
Cool Toronto Experiences for Kids
- Take in a show/ live theatre – we take our kids to many of the suitable Mirvish productions and there’s the Young People’s Theatre which does kid themed ones as well
- Take in a pop up experience – whether it’s the free 7TO at the Bay or Funhouse and Hide Seek, there’s something always popping up!
- Watch the Knights fight at Medieval times
- Watch the Toronto Raptors, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays or TorontoFC – we’ve taken our kids to all of these Toronto sporting events
I know I’m looking for things to do in Toronto this weekend as it’s a long one and I know I’ll continue to look for places to take my kids to throughout the summer, so I’ll be sure to update this list and hopefully you’ll share your favourite places in Toronto with us as well!